[EM] Stable PR governments

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 25 02:35:58 PDT 1999

Dear Herman,

you wrote (24 Aug 1999):
> > I believe that the main reason, why there were no
> > extraordinary elections since 1971, is the fact,
> > that the term of the parliament has been reduced
> > from four years to three years in 1971.
>
> Uhmmm, it wasn't. I can't find anything about a reduction,
> and the term is four years today.

In 1971, the term of the Swedish parliament was reduced from
four years to three years.

There were ordinary elections in 1973, in 1976, in 1979,
in 1982, in 1985, in 1988, in 1991, and in 1994.

And then the term was changed to four years.
So the next ordinary elections were in 1998.

In short: The main reason, why there were no extraordinary
elections in Sweden since 1971, is simply the fact, that
the parliament was elected for three years most of the time.

Before 1970, there were extraordinary elections
in Sweden in 1887, in 1914, and in 1958.

Markus Schulze