[EM] Stable PR governments

Herman Beun chbeun at worldonline.nl
Mon Aug 23 05:07:00 PDT 1999

Markus Schulze wrote:

> The Swedish Method guarantees that the possibility to dissolve
> the parliament cannot be misused to "corriger la fortune."

Therefore, probably, the Swedish parliament (Riksdagen) has never in
history been dissolved before the end of its regular mandate period.
Coalitions just postpone difficult decisions and stumble on until the
end, sometimes with minority support because one party leaves the
coalition, rather than investing in costly extraordinary elections
(extra val) for a mandate that is going to last only 1 or 2 years.

So in practice, the Swedish method seems to work out the same way as
the Norwegian one (where extraordinary elections are not possible).

I do not think either of these methods is better or worse than the
Dutch situation (where the government falls when it loses its
majority in parliament and new elections are held for a normal
parliamentary term). My main problem with each of this methods is
that elections are just not the appropriate means for asking the
electorate's opinion on one specific subject (namely, the particular
issue that was the cause of the split in government ranks). Better
might be a combination of the Dutch or Swedish method (as a way out
for general cooperation problems or distrust within the coalition)
with a referendum (as a way out when only one particular issue splits
the coalition ranks).

Herman

Herman Beun              Arnhem, Gelderland, Nederland, EU
CHBeun at worldonline.nl     http://www.euronet.nl/~in000622/