[EM] Cumulative Voting implementation

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Aug 20 22:13:06 PDT 1999

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply.  It occurred to me after posting the
question that the choice of numerator is unimportant, and doesn't need
to equal the number of seats.  You could fix it at 100 (or 60 or 840 --
avoid fractions where possible).

As to whether this is the best non-preferential system possible, it
seems to me that the method I have been calling "Proportional Approval"
avoids a strategy problem inherent in both Cumulative and Limited
Voting.  In those methods if you dilute your vote over too many
candidates, you could end up not electing any of them.

With Proportional Approval, the only reason not to vote for more
candidates is that you don't like the additional candidates (same as
with single winner Approval).  Assuming you prefer 9 of 10 candidates
equally over the 10th, you could vote for all nine without penalty, and
without any chance of your faction gaining more than its share of seats.

It also works better if you have factions too small to elect a single
candidate each, and who are somewhat close politically (but not close
enough to agree on a single candidate between them).  These groups could
each run their own candidate, and let the Approval vote decide between
them.

The tally process is a little more complicated than Peoria's, since the
method is basically just an obvious synthesis of Approval and STV, but
from the voter's point of view it's no more complicated than Approval.
Much easier than Limited Voting and Cumulative Voting, since voters
don't need to worry about the dilution problem.

Bart Ingles