[EM] I stand corrected - thank God for little favors

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Apr 25 11:16:50 PDT 1999

Donald E Davison wrote:
[snip]
>      This defination can be used to discredit AV more than it is already
> discredited. Suppose the following example:
>
>            35 A         30 B         2 CB
>            25 AB         8 BC
>           ------       ------       -----
>            60           38           2
>
>      Candidate A is the majority winner of the first choices, but candidate
> B wins the election according to the method of Approval Voting. This turn
> of events will fly like a lead balloon with the public.

Dear Donald:

Under your example, you seem to believe that the A voters would also
vote for B, so that the Approval result would be something like  A=60
B=65  C=10.  In fact, if the rankings above represent the sincere
preferences of the voters, there would be no reason for the A voters to
support B, or for the B voters to support C.  The actual result of an
Approval election would be more like:

60 A
38 B
 2 CB

so the final result would be  A=60  B=40  C=2.

 -- Bart