Fw: A further elucidation of my arguments

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 21 15:55:03 PDT 1999

I'm afraid I can't except your argument along the lines of "Borda
Probability" because, as Saari is apt to be paraphrased, it deliberately
ignores a fact- in this case the fact of collective choice You're
choosing a model of randomly selecting a ballot rather than assessing the
wishes of an entire society, which is dangerously far from approaching
the paradox I gave you.

Perhaps the thing that disturbsme most about Borda is that there is no
theory to support it which actually reflect any of the reasons a
particular voting system is better than another.