[EM] Ronald Tannenwald's example

Ron Tannenwald rtannenwald at UMASSD.EDU
Fri Apr 16 10:16:09 PDT 1999

> [...]
>
>Regards,
>Donald Davison
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Donald!
>
>      Consider the following election situation with 4 candidates for a single
>position.
>
>     49%      25%      26%
>    _____     ____     ____
>
>      A        B         C
>      B        C         B
>               D         D
>
>    Method     Winner
>  ________    _______
>
>  plurality      A
>
>  with runoff    C
>
>  Borda          B
>
>  Condorcet      B
>
>  approval       B
>
>  Hare           C
>
>  Salva          D ??
>
>       If I understand this idea, it isn't even Paretto much less monotonic!
>
>   Respectfully,
>
>Ronald Tannenwald
>Chairperson, Mathematics Department
>UMass Dartmouth
>
>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
> T H E   C O D E   O F   H O N O R   F O R   R E F O R M   A C T I V I S T S
>
>     Any group of reform activists that are thinking about a petition drive
>to place a proposal on the ballot are to present their proposal beforehand
>to all other reform activists that they know of. The time for debate and
>negative comments is before the petition stage. Once the group makes its
>final proposal and enters the petition stage, the debates and negative
>comments by all reform activists is to cease.
>    At this time each activist is to make an honest evaluation. If the
>initiative will improve government then each activist is to find it in his
>heart to support the initiative, even if it is not exactly what the
>activist would like.
>
>   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
>   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
>   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
>   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
>   |                            - Age 10                               |
>   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
>
>                            N E W S L E T T E R
>
>                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
>                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
>             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
>                          Outside of Europe  $10
>
>              Make check payable to: Account Number 13164-30-01
>              Mail to:  (Polak Jiri,ded)
>                        Ceska sporitelna, a.s.
>                        Jugoslavska 19
>                        Praha2,  Czech Republic
>          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
>              A Source of Study Material for Political Change
>
>                        http://www.mich.com/~donald
>          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dear Donald,

    Thank you for explaining the Salva method.I don't agree with the assertion
that one's lower alternates cannot contribute to the defeat of one's preferred
candidate.Consider the following:

    49%      3%      23%     25%
   _____    ____     ____    ____

     A        B        B       C
              A        C       B

In this scenario A is victorious. Had the 3% block voted only for their
first choice then B would have won.

    Cordially,

Ronald Tannenwald
Chairperson, Mathematics Department