[EM] The Ultimate Method? Paul's Borda Count - #2

Paul Dumais paul at amc.ab.ca
Mon Apr 26 16:09:54 PDT 1999

Hi all,

	I've been doing some more thinking and it appears that I have come up
with an improved method. Here's how it works:

1. Do a standard Borda count.
2. Define the borda number (BN) as the total number of candidates still
being considered minus 1 times the number of voters: BN = (C-1)*V -where
C is the number of candidates in consideration and V is the number of
voters. Divide the candidates into two groups: one group with a borda
count (BC) above BN/2 and one with a BC < BN/2.
3. Remove the lower group with BC < BN/2 from consideration. Change the
BN accordingly.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 on as many groups as required. All candidates can be
ranked in this way by repeating steps 1-3 on as many groups as required.

I think this method is immune to the advantage of running more
candidates. I also think it is reverse consistant. We can ask: "who is
the worst candidate?" and we shouldn't get a contradiction with "who is
the best candidate?". It should also be monotonic, that is, a drop in
support for a candidate should not result in the candidate getting
ranked higher than otherwise.

I'm sorry, I havn't tried this method against all the criterions yet. I
do feel however that we may have a winner(!) ;-) - or at least a soon to
be very popular compromise!

--
Paul Dumais