Reply #2: [EM] FWD: Borda Count by Paul Dumais

Paul Dumais paul at amc.ab.ca
Mon Apr 19 12:44:56 PDT 1999

Donald E Davison wrote:

> [...]
> > C.  The A voters rank insincerely as:
> >

> > 45   A B C
> > 15   B C A
> > 40   C A B
> > ---
> > 100 votes total
> >

> > Now A has 130, C has only 95, and B has 75.  What should the C voters
> > do?  If they adopt the same strategy by voting CBA, they can knock out
> > A, but will be worse off with last choice B winning (as in the Borda
> > results for Example 1).  They may have to do so, though, in order to
> > discourage the other side from attempting the strategy again in the
> > future.
> >
> > Granted that such severe Mutual Assured Destruction tactics involving
> > every voter are unlikely.  However, it is possible for smaller numbers
>
> That would be my argument.  I think, however, that Borda has a
> somewhat worse, but similar problem in that if there are a large
> number of fringe candidates, as there often are, then a voter can
> greatly magnify his vote buy burying strong contenders below them.
> Consider the following example
>
> Sincere preference.  Here, C through I are considered fringe
> candidates:
> 45 A B C D E F G H I
> 55 B A C D E F G H I
> Borda and Condorcet winner is B
>
> 43 A B C D E F G H I
> 2 A C D E F G H I B - burying tactic
> 55 B A C D E F G H I
>
> A 45*8 + 55*7 = 745
> B 55*8 + 43*7 = 741
>
> So, a small number of clever voters can greatly magnify their power,
> at very low risk.
>
> > > Date:   Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:22:44 -0600
> > > From: Paul Dumais <paul at amc.ab.ca>
> > > To: Donald E Davison <donald at mich.com>
> > > Subject: Re: Salva Voting - multi-seat example
> > >
> --snip--
> > >         I can construct examples where borda count is superior to other
> > > methods. I have not found any examples where other methods are superior
> > > to borda count. Perhaps someone can help.
> >

> Here is the example that I think shows that Borda is unusable.
> Imagine that there are two parties, the D's and the R's.  Now, assume
> there are more R than D voters as in the following example.
>
> 56 R D
> 44 D R
>
> Obviously, the R candidate wins, as one might expect.  But what
> happens if the D party runs two candidates, D1 and D2.  The following
> is a possible outcome.
>
> 56 R D1 D2
> 44 D1 D2 R
>
> R 112
> D1 144
> D2 44
>
> One of the D party candidates wins.  Note that there are no more D
> voter's in the second example.  Running more candidates in Borda is a
> very good strategy.  If a legislative body is choosing between
> multiple proposals using Borda, it makes sense to submit as many
> nearly identical copies of your proposal as possible.  This is both

Paul's Borda Count reveals: 56 R, 44 D1D2 or 56RD1 44 D1D2
R: 112     or   R:112
D1: 116         D1:144
D2: 72          D2:44
after first count
eliminate d2 gives
R:56 D1:44

Using borda count to eliminate minor candidates reveals a fair result.
The burying tactic is just another form of voting voting for minor
candidates over a percieved favorite. It will always be a problem in
voting methods. I feel however, that strategic voting will either be
rare or self-moderating. When rare, it's effect is limited. When not
rare, voting results will rebeal a closer race which will make it more
difficult to chose who is favorite, second etc. If we use one or more
steps with borda count (Paul's Borda count) to eliminate the minor
candidates, the vote will always come down to "how many voters chose X
over Y" in a single seat race. As you can see Borda Count converges with
condorcet however, borda count has a higher degree of success due to no
wasted votes.

--
Paul Dumais