Blake reply part 10

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Tue Sep 22 21:24:14 PDT 1998

Again I forgot to number my previous reply to Blake's letter.
It was # N+9, I believe. I started numbering at a time when I
hadn't counted replies so far, so I started with N instead of 0.

Each installment replies to a different part of this letter,
farther down:

> [...]
> do not express a preference between two candidates as not participating
> in the simulated vote between them.  So, a candidate can have a majority
> in the simulated vote just by beating the other side.
>
> But of course, this is just a semantic argument.  The real argument is
> whether a pairwise victory where the winning side constitutes a majority
> of all voters should always take precedence over a pairwise victory
> where it does not.  I think it is a big stretch to believe that this is
> a direct result of the principle of Majority Rule, as you imply.
>
> > A genuine majority has the power to get whatever its members
> > all want. They should be able to do so without insincere
> > voting. When they need insincere voting to get a result that
> > they all want, I call that "defensive strategy". The need for
> > extreme degrees of defensive strategy is very undesirable.
> > When it's necessary to insincerely rank a less-liked alternative
> > equal to or over a more-liked one I call that "drastic defensive
> > strategy". As I said, that's what we don't like about FPTP
> > (1-Vote-Plurality).
> >
> > Obviously, when the more-liked of those 2 is your favorite,
> > that's even worse. And when it's necessary to rank a less-liked
> > alternative _over_ your favorite--can a method get any
> > worse than that?
>
> According to Arrow's theorem, every ranked method has that property.
> Perhaps I have not understood you correctly.  Are you assuming there is
> a Condorcet Winner?  Are you assuming middle voters do not use
> order-reversal?  You will have to state your implicit assumptions before
> I can respond to this.
>
> > > However, I think we should consider that the same votes could result
> > > 44 A C B
> > > 28 B
> > > 28 C B A
> > > And that they are actually all sincere.  This results in
> >
> > If they're all sincere, there's no Condorcet winner to protect.
> > And it isn't possible to avoid violating the expressed wishes
> > of a majority. That isn't the kind of situation where there's
> > a LO2E problem, where it's necessary & possible to avoid
> > serious violations.
>
> I think this may be our main difference of opinion.  You are only
> interested in situations where there is a Condorcet winner.  I think it
> is important to use a method that is fair and reasonable even when there
> is no Condorcet winner.  A fair method would not punish voters for
> ignorance of the random-filling strategy.  A reasonable method would not
> consider a vote of
> 	52 to 48
> as more decisive than a vote of
> 	51 to 1
>
> We should remember why we abandoned GMC in its original form.  To do so
> meant we had to abandon some of the stronger statements about the power
> of a "genuine" majority.  And the difference between original and beat
> path GMC only affected those cases without a Condorcet winner.  But we

Yes, I forgot to mention that in my previous reply: It's the
cases with a CW that are important in regards to LO2E, the
problem that I want to avoid. Maybe I'm the only one here who
wants to. No problem.

not done yet. More farther down.

> abandoned it anyway because of the strange way it forced a method to
> behave in these cases.  I think the next step is to abandon GMC and the
> genuine majority distinction altogether for the strange results it
> causes.

No, the next step is to abandon rank-balloting, because most
people aren't going to know whom to believe, except for the
relatively large number who are willing to take CVD's word for
it about the wholly inadequate IRO.

done