Approval and twins

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Wed Oct 28 18:02:56 PST 1998

> I consider rich-party and vote-splitting to be two of the most
> important problems, so I think it's important to ask how well
> approval does in regard to them.
>
> Certainly, approval passes GITC.  However, GITC was designed
> for rank methods.  In theory, plurality passes GITC.

In no way could Plurality be said to pass the Clone-Independence
Criterion, if that's what GITC refers to. If an added clone
splits the vote, it could make the former wininer in the clone
set lose.

You say that Approval passes GITC. If GITC is designed for rank
methods, but Approval passes it anyway, I guess I don't understand
what the problem is.

done for the time being