Reveling the Majority Winner

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Mon Oct 19 00:39:23 PDT 1998

Greetings,

     I would like to add an example to my letter of Sun, 18 Oct 1998,

     Consider the following election: 3001 A, 2000 B, 1000 C, plus lower
choices.
     We have a majority winner and all the votes of that majority are in
the first choices. The lower choices have no say in the selection of the
majority winner.
     Now, let us shift one vote from A to C as follows: 3000 A, 2000 B, 1001 C
     How much say should the lower choices now have in the selection of a
majority winner?
     Well, the election methods like Approval Voting, Borda Count, and
Condorcet, the ABC methods, will claim that the lower choices should now
have fifty percent or more voice in the selection of the winner.
     No way! The changing of one vote should not cause the rest of the
voters to lose fifty percent of their most preferred choice.

Regards,
Donald Davison