"more than half the voters???"

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Fri Oct 9 15:38:13 PDT 1998

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Charles Fiterman wrote:

> At 12:58 PM 10/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >You're asking a bit too much of a voting system. Shall we
>
> >define a system in which majority rules unless it wants
>
> >to do something bad? Sorry, but democracy doesn't ensure
>
> >that the people will do the right thing, or won't do horrible
>
> >things. So that means that you'd take away democracy?
>

> Constitutional Democracy requires super majorities
>
> to do some kinds of things. This has turned out to

A simple majority of voters, in the various states & legislative
districts, could elect representatives to change the Constitution
in any way that majority desired.

The supermajority requirements, then, only act as a dely for
public wishes. The Bill of Rights is nice on paper, but
many question how well it's actually enforced. Maybe the
main effect of the delay against Constitutional changes really
only interferes with democracy, increasing the distancae between
public wishes, & policy.

Mike