[EM] Reply to DEMOREP on Lord Jenkin's Proposals

David Marsay djmarsay at dera.gov.uk
Fri Oct 9 04:31:18 PDT 1998

> From:          donald at mich.com (New Democracy)
> Subject:       [EM] Reply to DEMOREP on Lord Jenkin's Proposals

>      Do not let the Pairwise Guys influence you. They have an agenda. Their
> game plan is to get some single seat method installed that will allow them,
> by hook or by crook, to win seats for their third party candidates in
> single seat districts electing lawmakers. Their method of choice is
> Condorcet - a good hook.
>
> Regards,
> Donald Davison

I think that most alternatives to FPP, and particularly those with a
PR element, will allow small parties to emerge and grow support. Thus
it will be difficult for a duff centre party to retain support. As an
example, various single-issue parties (e.g. 'the Greens') have tended
to do better. I would have thought it more likely that existing
centre parties will break into a number of parties focussing on
specific issues, than that a centre party will be able to get control
of 'the system'. Has anyone studied various systems?