Approval/Plurality combinations

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Tue Oct 6 20:21:31 PDT 1998

> Approval's simplicity is tempting despite its drawbacks.  Even if you

Again, my shell elm mailer is leaving out the 1st lines of
letters that I copy. The proposal below is for Approval
& Plurality voting in an election.

> hold a separate FPP vote to detect a majority winner, the two votes
> together are simpler than full ranking and can be conducted on any
> equipment, including punch-card ballots and paper "X" voting.  Of course
> if you are going to hold both votes, it would make sense to come up with
> a counting method that makes better use of the available information.

But when defining a new count rule, you lose the simplicity
and have the problem of selling a completely new method, and
you open the can-of-worms of a count rule debate.

The suggestion of combining Plurality & Approval on a ballot
is a good one. Disadvantage: The ballot has to be different
from now, and  the 2 votes require twice the ballot space.

Advantage: The Plurality count can be used to find out if
there's a majority candidate & elect him/her.

But, rather than the new count rules described later in the
letter, I prefer the very minimal use of the Plurality vote:

If someone gets a majority in the Plurality vote, he/she is
elected. If not, then the winner of the Approval count wins.

For the sake of simplicity, that's the only way I'd suggest
using the Plurality/Approval ballot. Using any kind of new
count procedure places us in the same predicament as when
advocating a rank-count rule.

Disadvantage: If no one gets a majority in the Plurality count,
and it's obvious that the Plurality winner is different from
the Approval winner who won the election, the supporters of
that Plurality winner would fight to repeal the reform and
replace it with plain Plurality.

improves results by electing majority winners, but requires
different ballots from now, doubles the length of the ballot,
and could generate great dis-satisfaction from supporters
of the Plurality winner if he doesn't win the election.
Overall, then, though Approval/Plurality would improve results,
over plain Approval, plain Approval seems simpler & more
problem-free. Of course if public sentiment about electing
the 1st place majority winner is strong, then Plurality/Approval
would likely be the better proposal.

But it should be understood that a majority winner can lose
under plain Plurality, if his supporters instead vote for
a more winnable lesser evil, and that failure happens twice
as easily in Plurality than in Approval. It seems that in
Plurality/Approval, people would feel free to vote sincerely
in the Plurality section, since they can protect their more
winnable 2nd choices in the Approval section.

That concludes my reply. I don't delete the remainimg lines
because I don't want the keyboard lockup problem to happen
before I send this.

Mike