Nominating Standards and Goals

Charles Fiterman cef at geodesic.com
Tue Oct 6 06:18:38 PDT 1998

At 09:12 AM 10/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Charles Fiterman,
>
>     You wrote: "We are nominating only goals not methods."
>
>     Sorry Charles, but I am nominating standards to be used to evaluate
>methods.
>
>     But I will nominate the following goal:
>
>     The goal of this exercise is to select the method that will elect the
>candidate that is the preferred choice of the voters.

Can you be more clear? How do we know that this goal has been met?

In private email someone also said.

>I nominate:
>
>1) Voting truthfully will advantage and not disadvantage you (where
>possible)
>
>2) It should be hard for any candidates to split the vote

Again explanation is required. I volunteer.

1) People aren't punished with loss of power for voting the way
they feel. People who vote dishonestly feel badly about themselves
and often stop voting alltogether.

2) You can't hurt a candidate by having someone with stands
near to theirs enter the election.

3) The system should avoid gross paradoxes as they cause loss
of faith in the system.