What about a meta election?

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 2 13:18:04 PDT 1998

Dear Charles,

I wrote (02 Oct 1998):
> > On the basis of mathematics you have a better
> > system than approval voting. But we don't live
> > in mathematics. Out in the real world you have
> > a fraud magnet that no one can ever live with.
>
> Sometimes, I ask myself, why I have studied
> mathematics. Whenever I try to apply mathematics,
> I immediately get the answer, that the considered
> problem is not a mathematical question, but
> an economic resp. ecologic resp. political resp.
> physical resp. chemical resp. subjective
> resp. historical resp. medical resp. ethical
> question.
>
> Sometimes, I ask myself, what is mathematics
> good for if you can never apply it.

What I wanted to say is, that the question, which
criteria an election method should meet, is
-of course- a political question. But as soon as the
criteria are defined in a mathematical manner, the
question, whether an election method meets certain
criteria, becomes a mathematical question.

We do live in mathematics. You must not differ
between mathematics and the real world.

Markus Schulze