Look what the cat dragged in!

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 12:38:42 PDT 1998

Since Mr. Davidson has now slandered cats (along with Mr. Ossipoff some more),
I must respond with my standard example of the terrible possible defect of IRO
of possibly NOT picking a compromise choice.

H = Hitler, S = Stalin, W= Washington

35 H W
34 S W
16 W H
15 W S
100

Using IRO, Washington loses. Hitler wins with a mighty 51- 49 vote. Stalin
starts a civil war.

With Condorcet Washington beats Hitler 65 - 35 and beats Stalin 66-34.

The example could even be more extreme--
49 H W
48 S W
  2 W H
  1 W S
with the same result.

I repeat my standard mantra-
nonpartisan nomination and elections for executive and judicial elections,
having a YES/NO vote on candidates in such elections, using Condorcet on
majority YES candidates, repeatedly dropping the lowest number ranked YES
choices to break any tie.

I must berate Mr. Davidson for putting his catty comments on the ER list when
discussion of specific methods are supposed to be on the EM list.   Many ER
folks presumably have no great interest in the details/defects of various
election reform methods.