[ER] What Use?

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Thu Oct 22 19:42:00 PDT 1998

I believe that partition is a wise solution, especially where
groups don't want to be with eachother, dislike eachother,
or disagree on govt.

In fact, I like partition better than PR anywhere. Of course
PR could still be used _within_ the areas, but, even there,
I much prefer direct democracy to any form of representation,
including PR. Of course even with DD, there'd still be some
limited need for elected officials, a limited executive team.

> 2. Some complaints which I believe would be brought up if any form of
> preferential voting is imposed is that counting would be more
> complicated, especially if we do a manual count. Thus, people in our
> country believe that plurality, for all its flaws, is easier to count,
> considering that most election officials are volunteers who cannot get
> much sleep. How would you answer this?

Very good point. Use Approval. Much easier count than any
rank-balloting method. Better method than any but a very few
of the very best rank-methods. No debate on how to count rankings.

In Approval, each voter may vote for as many candidates as he
wants to, for  particular office, giving each 1 whole vote.
Candidate with most votes wins, as in Plurality.

reply concluded