part 3, applying the criteria

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Sun Oct 18 02:43:29 PDT 1998

In our elections now, we have no assurance that Middle's voters
will rank Favorite over Worst. That would be nice, sure, but
is it a hope to use as a basis for choosing one method over
another? In my examples, I usually assume that a middle candidate's
voters don't vote between the 2 sides, or that if they do, it
will cancel out. That seems reasonable. lt doesn't seem reasonable
to assume that they'll lobsidedly rank my side over the opposite
side.

In fact, the Democrats & Republicans are closer to eachother than
either is to the Greens or other progressives, in their goals
& policies, and in their moral character. So the voter who likes
the Democrat best is going to like the Green least, and the ]
Republican 2nd.

So because Runoff gives us a more generally helpful guarantee,
I still like Runoff better than IRO, and feel that, except in
the special cases covered by Mutual Majority & Clone Independence,
Runoff is better than IRO.

Mike