Comments on David Marsay's Comments - Number 1

David Marsay djmarsay at dera.gov.uk
Fri Oct 9 04:31:18 PDT 1998

In respones to:

My example shows that approval voting does not meet the
majoritarian criterion given above at '2)'. I am not saying that the
majoritarian criterion is 'right' in absolute terms, although I do
think that many folk believe in it.

> But the centrist is the only one who could have enough support to run
> things. Admitted the left and right don't have him as their first choice
> but they both found him acceptable.
You don't know that.

> In the end the job of government is to
> run things and that requires compromise.
I may have voted for the centrist candidate!

> 2. Politics is one dimensional.
I was merely intending to define a simple example in which approval
voting is not majoritarian. I don't think I am 1-D!

> 3. Everyone deserves to be equally powerful.
Again, 'one-person-one-vote' is a traditional goal. It is never
met. (Floating voters have all the voting power). I'm not sure if it
is desirable in its own right or not, but any proposed system needs
to pay it lip-service.

Cheers.