votes for & against

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Sun Oct 4 15:19:34 PDT 1998

Another comment about Blake's statement that if A beats B,
a vote for B over A might be intended as a "vote against".

Sure, but we were talking about B's score, and for B, that's
a vote-for. If you want to count votes-against in victories
as well as defeats, then you can call the B>A votes votes against
too, I guess. If you want to count victories as well as defeats
in a candidate's score, then you're an advocate of Simpson-Kramer.

I have nothing against Simpson-Kramer, except that it doesn't
do as good a job of electing Condorcet winners, and has
strategy problems that VA Condorcet doesn't have.

Mike