Rank is a "Double Speak" word

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Thu Nov 12 18:18:24 PST 1998

>      What does the word rank mean to you? (or ranked or ranking). To me it
> means that my most preferred candidate is to be my first choice, and my
> second preferred candidate is to be my second choice, etc. And, my vote
> belongs to my first choice and it is to stay with my first choice for as
> long as my first choice is a contender.

Now Don would like to define the meaning of rankings in terms
of his method's rules, as he previously tried to define "majority"
in terms of those rules. Nope, when you rank A over B, that's saying
that you'd rather have A win than B. It's not saying that you
want to have only 1 vote, and that you want that vote to remain
on A, and perhaps never be counted helping B, though you may need
B. If you've also ranked B over C, you're saying that you'd rather
have B than C. IRO often will never count that, thereby electing
C because your expressed wish wasn't cuunted.

Don is confusing the voter's expressed wish with his won methods's
rules.

Reply concluded.

Mike Ossipoff