Revealing the Majority Winner

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Wed Nov 11 01:23:15 PST 1998

Bart Ingles wrote:

> Sequentially dropping the weakest candidate probably helps reduce the
> chances of electing the "wrong" candidate (some Condorcet tie breakers
> presumably drop weakest defeats for the same reason).

It probably wasn't very clear what I meant by this statement.  What I
meant was that sequentially dropping the weakest candidate probably
reduces the effects of having an imperfect definition of "weakest".  The
opposite -- using the criterion to choose the "strongest" candidate
directly -- would give us the Plurality winner.