other devious electorate solutions

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 10 19:02:22 PST 1998

Mr. Cretney wrote in part-

It occurs to me that one of the simplest cures for strategy problems is also a
natural result of devious electorates.  That is lying to pollsters.
-----
D- For the Nth time (I've lost count)- Any election method must work on the
votes actually cast (sincere or insincere, strategic or nonstrategic, lying or
truthful).

Two or more factions can play the lying- to- pollsters game for entertainment/
confusion purposes.  So what ?

Keeping terms short (preferably 1 year for legislative and executive offices)
will keep down the damage by powermad, lying politicians.   How about an
extreme not so devious nonelectorate solution-- the death penalty for any
candidate who after his/ her election acts opposite to his/her pre-election
day platform/ comments ?