FU@# PLURALITY

David Marsay djmarsay at dera.gov.uk
Wed Nov 11 05:44:43 PST 1998

 Daniel Davis wrote

>     Here are the results of my fall election for a University Student Senate Seat
><SNIP>

>     Which system would have benefited me the most?  The least (aside from the
> obvious)?  Which system would have been the fairest in outcomes?

I cannot recall any method that has been seriously proposed to
replace FPP that would not have elected you!

You say you were the centre candidate of 3, and got more 1st choice
votes than 'the Greeks'. This is typical of those UK election results
that are considered to be unreasonable. Replace FPP with almost
anything!

It would have been more interestingly if you had come last, with
neither of the others getting 50%, or if the Greeks had come first.
In this case different methods give different results. I wonder which
is 'fair'?

Dave