Truncated ballots

David Marsay djmarsay at dra.hmg.gb
Mon Mar 23 01:34:16 PST 1998

There are currently two main options for ranking ballots.
1) give first choice (FPP)
2) rank all choices.

I am considering the case where voters are asked to rank, say, their
top 4 out of 10.

Does anyone know of an references to practical experience with such
truncated rankings?

The idea is that:

1) FPP discourages voters from expressing their first
preference when it is unlikely to win. With ranking methods they can
express their preference and thus help it to build a constituency
over repeated ballots. It also helps analysts to decide if the result
is reasonable if the votes record preferences more accurately.

2) Full ranking is tedious. Most methods are pair-wise, and thus a
candidate who is ranked 9th ahead of the 10th gets equal relative
benefit  as if it had been ranked first ahead of 2nd. Is this
reasonable? Will voters take as much care with the lower rankings?
Might they not be encouraged to vote tactically? ...

For a truncated ranking, one would disregard the lower rankings,
treating them as if they were equal. It seems to me that this avoids
the worst faults of other methods, but may introduce some new ones.

(I've been busy on other things for a while, but as Rob is testing
the system, I thought I'd chip in my half-baked questions now.
Cheers.)