Regretted Turnout. Insincere = ranking.

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Jun 13 14:05:52 PDT 1998

Mr. Ossipoff wrote ---

It's true, as Demorep said, that if new voters join the election,
the rightful result may well be different from what it was before.
And the 1st choice of the new voters might rightffully lose.

Unfortunately, that means that those new voters have incentive
to falsify some of their preferences--if they can predict the
results well enough.

But, if the best methods fail the No-Show Criterion, and if
it's difficult or impossible for those new voters to actually
predict well enough to strategize, then I'd say that a No-Show
failure by methods that we otherwise consider the best should
be accepted.
---
D-  After recovering from the shock of having Mr. O. note that Mr. D. is
correct about something  [ :)], I note---

At some point the voters in a minority will have to strategize as to which of
the majority evils is the lesser of the evils (in the minds of the minority).

Theoretical / historical example--  The economy goes really rotten and/or an
unpopular war gets going and/or an incumbent is really power mad and evil
(i.e. bad stuff happens).   The incumbent party is blamed.  Numerous opponents
of the the opposing party (which is sure to win the next election according to
all the polls) come out of the political woodwork.  The supporters of the
incumbent party will, if they have any brains, strategize and rank the less
extreme of the numerous opponents just after ranking their own supporters (who
are "sure" to lose).

Pick a year- 1932 (Great Depression), 1968 (Vietnam War), 1976 (Post-
Watergate), 1980 (Major inflation/ interest rates), 1992 (Major depression),
etc. .

As I have written many times, there should be nonpartisan elections for all
executive and judicial office elections.   The partisan yelling and screaming
belongs in multi- member proportional representation elections for legislative
bodies.

If rankings (1, 2, 3, etc.) get going for nonpartisan executive offices, then
I suggest that many yahoo/nutcase candidates will NOT be running.

Such yahoo/nutcase candidates currently run due to the ultra- dangerous
plurality nominations system which gives them a fair chance to win in general
elections (especially in areas/ districts where one party wins all or most of
the time).