Basic principle? [EM]

Fillard Rhyne fillard at hevanet.com
Fri Jun 12 17:34:02 PDT 1998

>MS> But my point is: The assertion that a "basic democratic principle"
>must always
>MS> select the candidate preferred by a majority - is merely that, an
>assertion.
>MS> I do not believe it is a necessary or even useful component of a valid
>group
>MS> decision-making method.

>MO> Wrong. The desirability of majority rule isn't just an assertiion of
>MO> mine; it's a very widely-held standard.

Okay, majority rule is a very widely-held standard.  Fair enough.
But isn't the whole point of this list to call very widely-held
standards into question, to analyze them and their alternatives?
My guess is that when Mike Saari said "assertion", he meant it
was an opinion, not a fact.  Did he ever actually say it was
just _your_ assertion and no one else's?

I for one prefer majority rule to any of the alternatives I've
examined so far.  But huzzah for independent thinking...

Fillard