Basic principle?

Saari at aol.com Saari at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 16:45:03 PDT 1998

In a message dated 98-06-12 06:42:47 EDT, Mike O writes:

> ...my
>basic democratic principle that says "If a majority rank
>A over B, then if we choose A or B, it should be A".

Part of the problem with these discussions is the variety of opinions held,
without rigorous analysis.  The above is a commonly-held view, flawed in my
opinion.  My argument against is a simple counter-example.

Suppose that 60% of the voters sincerely rate A as "excellent" and sincerely
rate B as "very good".  The other 40% sincerely rate A as "awful" and
sincerely rate B as "very good".

>From this very limited data, it APPEARS to me that B is a better group
outcome.  Choice A leaves 40% of the group dissatisfied whereas choice B
leaves every member reasonably content.  I personally would generally rather
be content 100% of the time than only 60% of the time.

Of course, others may have a different view.  And for *some* situations it is
indeed better to select an "extreme excellent" choice that is intensely
disliked by some. A robust voting system must allow for all possibilities.

But my point is: The assertion that a "basic democratic principle" must always
select the candidate preferred by a majority - is merely that, an assertion.
I do not believe it is a necessary or even useful component of a valid group
decision-making method.

Mike Saari