Regretted Turnout. Insincere = ranking.

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 12 03:11:55 PDT 1998

Dear Mike,

you wrote (11 Jun 1998):
> The methods which I know of not having that problem are
> Plurality, Approval, & Bucklin.

Borda hasn't this problem, either.

My question is: Is there a method, that meets the "Local
Independence from Irrelevant Alternatives Criterion" and
that never punishes voters for going to the poll?
Or is there a incompatibility between No-Punishment
and LIIAC?

******

Bucklin fails to meet my "No-Punishment Criterion".

Example 1:

   39 voters vote A > B > C.
   10 voters vote B > A > B.
   51 voters vote C > A > B.

   Bucklin elects candidate C.

Example 2:

   39 voters vote A > B > C.
   10 voters vote B > A > B.
   51 voters vote C > A > B.
   06 voters vote B > C > A.

   Now, Bucklin elects candidate A.

In other words, the additional 6 voters, who vote
B > C > A, are "punished" for going to the poll.
The example above also demonstrates, that
Bucklin fails to meet Fishburn's "No-Show Criterion".

Markus