Regretful voters. No-Show.

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Wed Jun 10 13:44:27 PDT 1998

That situation with the 6 regretful voters seems to be
an example of the situation
where there's stratgegic benefit from insincerely ranking one's
top choices equally. And that's the next topic I've been intending
to reply to, after the one I'm going to reply to today (in a
subsequent message today). I don't know if that situation with
the 6 new voters is patchable, or inevitable, or neither. But
thanks for pointing out that that problem isn't limited to Smith//
Condorcet, but is shared by the other top methods discussed here.
If those 6 voters had ranked D & B equally, they wouldn't have
increased B's greatest defeat, by D. So B would still win.
More about that after I start investigating that problem. It's
next.

The No-Show problem of Tideman is a more extreme version of this,
and it does look bad. I hope that the methods that I proposee never
do that :-|

Mike Ossipoff