Vacancy Rule - STV cycles rule

Norman Petry npetry at sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 31 22:33:15 PDT 1998

Mike,

Your last two postings regarding Ranked STV have brought to light a subtle
difference in the way our two methods solve the problem of non-monotonicity.
Looking back on my original posting, I realised what the problem was.  On
July 28 1998 in describing my method I said:

>2) Fill the remaining ranks by holding repeated STV elections with
progressively >lower quotas (Droop Quota = votes/(currentRank+1)]+1).  For
these STV counts, >you would need to employ an additional rule: no candidate
whose ranking has >already been determined may be eliminated (even if they
are ranked lowest).

I realise now that I've created confusion through the sloppy use of terms.
To be precise, I should have said:

"no candidate whose ranking has already been determined may be eliminated
(even if they have the fewest votes)."

By "eliminated" I meant the type of elimination that occurs _during_ an STV
count, where there are unfilled vacancies and none of the remaining
candidates have reached the quota.  Conventional STV then resorts to
eliminating the candidate with the fewest votes.  Normally, it would be
reasonable to say that this candidate is "ranked lowest", in the sense that
the currently unelected (or "continuing") candidates can be ordered
according to their vote totals.  It's misleading, however, when we're also
talking about using STV results as part of a larger process to prepare a
_ranked_ list of candidates.

Therefore, because of my undefined use of the word "eliminated", and
positively misleading use of the word "ranked", you reasonably assumed that
my rule was the same as yours (at least for N>C, where C is the previous
caucus size), since "elimination" might also mean removal from the
established set of rankings.  Sorry for the confusion!

To be perfectly clear, then: the meaning I had intended (which is, I think,
how Don Davison interpreted my method) was that this requirement would be
applied _within_ the stages of each STV election.  So, where a conventional
STV procedure would have an elimination rule like:

"In the event that there are unfilled seats and no continuing candidates
have reached the quota, eliminate the candidate with the fewest votes and
transfer the ballots to subsequent choices."

Ranked STV[NP]'s elimination rule would be:

"In the event that there are unfilled seats and no continuing candidates
have reached the quota, eliminate the *previously unranked* candidate with
the fewest votes and transfer the ballots to subsequent choices."

Therefore, Ranked STV[NP] is necessarily house-monotonic, and doesn't
require the use of a single-winner method (except for dealing with ties, as
in conventional STV).  The implication of this rule, of course, is that the
candidate to be eliminated will not be the one with the fewest votes, in
cases where house-monotonicity would be violated under a conventional STV
procedure.

In contrast, my understanding is that Ranked STV[MO] uses a strictly
conventional STV count, and then tries to reconcile incompatibilities
between successive counts caused by the effects of house-monotonicity
violations.  The set of candidates produced by each STV count is compared to
the previous set of rankings.  If exactly one new winner appears, no
problem -- just assign it the last ranking.  If house-monotonicity has been
violated, however, 2 or more new candidates will have appeared in the
current set of winners (and 1 or more previously ranked candidates will be
missing).  Assuming we're dealing with the case where N (the current rank
being determined) is greater than C (the previous caucus size), the
previously ranked candidates may not be replaced by the new winners.
Therefore, a single-winner method is needed, since there's no way of
shoe-horning the 2 or more new candidates into the one available slot.

***

So, I hope now that this difference between Ranked STV[NP] and Ranked
STV[MO] is clear.  I've prepared an example with analysis showing how these
differences in elimination methods might affect candidate ordering, which
I'll be posting tomorrow.

Norm Petry