Optimal? not

Saari at aol.com Saari at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 12:52:57 PDT 1998

>Is Mr. Saari suggesting that if 1 voter votes 100 for choice A and 2 voters
>vote 49 for choice B that choice A should outrank choice B ?

This is the problem with most point systems - it is unclear what the points
really mean.

If the two medium votes really mean "I have a very mild preference" and the
one strong vote really means "I would sacrifice my right arm for this" then
perhaps the one strong vote really should outweigh the two medium ones.

But with the point system as shown it is impossible to ascertain just what was
meant by a given vote.  Something better is needed.

Mike Saari