Condorect sub-cycle rule

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 1 11:13:37 PST 1998

Dear participants,

in one of my last e-mails (04 Oct 1997), I introduced
Tideman's method. I mentioned two possible explanations
of Tideman's method: Tideman's original formulation
(successively locking resp. skipping the worst defeats)
and my own formulation (calculating the strength of defeats
via beat-paths).

Then I got an e-mail (14 Nov 97) from Mike Ossipoff, who
believed, that my beat-path-method and Tideman's original
method are different things. He was right. My
Condorcet(beat-path) method and Tideman's method are
different things.

At first, it seemed to me obvious, that both methods are
identical. But now, I found examples where both methods
lead to different results.

Example:

   26 voters vote C > A > B > D.
   20 voters vote B > D > A > C.