Normative principles of elections- Condorcet and Irrelevance of Alternatives (plus a brief hello and an STV clarification)

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 26 16:17:34 PDT 1998

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Mike Ositoff wrote:

I guess it's hard to always have everyone agreeing, but I believe the
criterion of irrelevant alternatives actually does allow for the criteria
below.

The fact is that if a Condorcet winner exists, that winner
satisfies IA, and vice versa. This is a good point about Condorcet,
in case people are just being defensive without provocation.

I personally disagree with the vagueness of just plain "majority rule",
believing that more focused principles of majority rule need to be
developed. As for the concept of strategy- IA has a large-scale
positive effect on the behaviour of actors in an election.

I would appreciate it if you gave me examples of IA contradicting other
ubiquitous criteria, as I am a relative newcomer to the "field"; however, I
believe that the concept of IA itself is a particularly dominant one- that
the outcome of the election reflects the values of the electorate
independent of the presence of any losing candidates.