Proposed SD Algorithm Defective

Blake Cretney bcretney at my-dejanews.com
Tue Aug 25 11:23:21 PDT 1998

--

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:42:13   Norman Petry wrote:
>Blake,
>
>You wrote:
>
>>I think the best bet for an SD algorithm is
>>Repeat
>>    Eliminate everything not in the Simpson set
>>    Break lowest defeat
>>Until only one candidate is left
>
>I'm not familiar with the Simpson Set.  Could you please post a definition?
>
>TIA,
>
>Norm Petry

Oops!  I meant the Smith set.  Either I got confused with Simpson-Kramer, or I had just watched an episode of the Simpson's.

In either case, my algorithm doesn't work as an implementation of SD. I notice that it maintains GITC under Mike's counter-example for SD.  In any case, it's very close to SD.  I'll have to study it further to see if it has any deficiencies relative to SD.

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums