California IRO proposal? :-|

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Wed Aug 5 07:42:08 PDT 1998

Dear MikeO,

You wrote:
>Another thing that I ran across in the EM archives was
>a letter from CVD, forwarded to EM, in which CVD said
>(or words to that effect) "Watch for IRO Legislation in California"
>:-| Has anyone here heard any such bad news?
>
>Mike Ossipoff

Which update are you refering to? There is something in the 04-27-98 update
about IRV. (CV&D calls it Instant Runoff Voting now )

The following GOOD NEWS comes from the 04-27-98 update:

6. "Instant Runoff Voting" Makes Headway in States

Instant runoff voting (also called the "alternative) is not a PR
system, but opens winner-take-all elections to more
participation while ensuring that winners can gain majority
support. Instant runoff voting (IRV) legislation has now been
introduced in three states -- Texas, Vermont and New Mexico
-- and definitely "tested" well in 1998.

In New Mexico's short session, a constitutional amendment
was proposed to create an option for localities to use IRV and
to enact IRV for statewide offices such as governor. The state's
Common Cause chapter endorsed the measure, as did two
former governors (a Democrat and a Republican), reformers
created excellent materials, several key legislative leaders
signalled support and the Senate Rules Committee passed the
bill. It died on a 4-4 vote in another committee, however, and
the session was too short for its revival -- but prospects look
hopeful for 1999.

The Vermont bill not only called for enacting IRV for
statewide offices, but for federal elections, including that of
president. As in New Mexico, the Common Cause state affiliate
endorsed the measure. A committee held several hearings on
the bill and recommended that a citizens commission be formed
to study it. That commission will begin its work later this year.

The Texas bill would have allowed localities to replace
traditional runoffs with IRV. It was introduced in 1997, but
there was no session in 1998. The bill likely will be re-
introduced in 1999, and supporters are optimistic. Legislators in
at least three other states are considering IRV legislation.

[Nothing here about California, but we can keep looking - have a nice day]

Regards,
Donald

     ///                 N E W    D E M O C R A C Y                ///
     \\\ Home of Citizen's Democracy   http://www.mich.com/~donald \\\