Condorcet Society Documents?

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Fri Aug 14 15:55:23 PDT 1998

Rob L. & Markus have pointed out the desirability of creating
a document. I strongly feel that the 1st document we need is
a letter about the Puerto Rican vote.

Other than that, it would be good to have a web article.
But, before the web article, and right after the Puerto Rican
issue, how about a brief letter to legislators. It could
be the same as the Puerto Rican vote letter, or different.
Maybe it could contain several proposals (SD, SC & PC?).
Maybe it's better to just mention one proposal.

But those documents should be _from_ something. That's why
I suggest an organization. Though I like the name
Condorcet Society, the name, as with any issue for the
organization, would naturally be subject to a vote, unless
there's natural consensus. Do we agree that Schulze, because
it meets the most criteria that we value, would be the natural
choice, the consensus choice, for the organization's voting?

After the letter about the Puerto Rico vote, then, I suggest
a letter to legislators (CVD is already doing that). That letter
could be used anywhere, by any of us in our resepctive countries
or regions. The fact that membership is international adds
prestige to our recommendations.

Obviously, the agenda would also be subject to a vote. My
ordering of documents to write & use is just my suggestion.
As with any issue, an ordering of an agenda, if there isn't
a natural consensus, could be decided by a Schulze vote. We
all know how a single-winner method can be used to create an
ordered agenda: Find the #1 winner. Then, among the remaining
alternatives, find the #2 winner. Etc.

CVD can claim more financial backing, and more members
(partly because of the financial backing, and partly because
of earlier formation), but we'd have them beat, because we'd
be democratic. We'd have more decisionmaking participants than
CVD. We'd have as many of those as we have members. CVD just
has 1.

How about it? An organization? A Puerto Rican vote letter?

I've never believed that an organization needs officers. Direct
democracy seems to work fine in organizations. Again, as suggestion.
Obviously that issue, like any can be decided by vote if there
isn't a natural consensus.

Mike