Supermajority

Saari Saari at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 23:24:26 PDT 1998

Regarding a system where a support/oppose ratio of 5:1 (for example) would be
used for all decisions.
DEMOREP:
     "I also note that most current laws have been passed by minority rule
 gerrymander regimes.  Would such laws now need to get a 5 to 1 vote to
 repeal  them ?"
 Donald:
      No - the way to handle existing laws is to only require that they can
 be repealed by the same percent of the vote that they were passed into law.

Me:
Actually, it is not necessary to have "exceptions", and the above suggestion
requires historical archive searches to implement.  Instead, suppose an
existing group (with existing rules/laws) chose to conduct all future business
via a 5:1 support/oppose passing requirement.

Once everyone had gotten used to it, perhaps the following proposal would
succeed:
"We should get our old rules up to date.  I propose we work to re-pass as many
of our existing rules as we can, and after one year all old rules which have
not been re-passed will automatically expire."

Perhaps this proposal would succeed, thereby solving the issue.  Or there are
any number of other possible variations.  Or maybe the group would just not
worry about it, except for a few cases where 5:1 support to repeal an old rule
would be attainable.

Mike