Anti-PR Initiative Filed in Colorado

Gary Swing gwswing at ouray.cudenver.edu
Fri Apr 24 09:33:20 PDT 1998

Robert Greene of Denver, CO and Ernest Duran of Wheat Ridge, CO have filed
language for a proposed state constitutional amendment which provides
that: "Every election conducted or directed by the State or any of its
political subdivisions or under its auspices shall be decided by a
majority of those who vote in that election." This filing is peculiar
because the two have apparently hired a law firm, Mark Bender, Attorney at
Law, to represent them, and the initiative proposal was filed by the law
firm, rather than the proponents.

The review and comment hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, April 28, at 2:00
pm, in House Committee Room 0111 of the Colorado state capitol building.

If I attend, I plan to argue that the initiative would violate home rule
provisions of the state constitution, and would require the use of
majority preference voting for all elections.

In other news, on Wednesday morning, I filed the proposed CO MMP
initiative for the next stage of the process, a title setting hearing with
the Secretary of State's office.

Gary Swing
Denver, CO