Exaggerated opinions

David Marsay djmarsay at dra.hmg.gb
Fri Apr 24 05:12:56 PDT 1998

> From:          Saari <Saari at aol.com>
> Date:          Fri, 24 Apr 1998 05:01:50 EDT

> The "pay extra for extra votes" example was meant ONLY as an example to show
> that it is POSSIBLE to define a system to control the "exaggeration" problem.
> It was meant as an end-all solution, merely a demonstration of possibility.

I think there may be some system. The problem is to find it.

> Here is another method, one that does not involve money.  Require that every
> vote beyond the "free" baseline level requires handwritten words of
> explanation.

I favour this method for decision-making within a formal
organisation. E.g.,  "You must comply with the policy or give the
reason why and be prepared to come and defend that reason".

In a national context this might lead to government by the
underemployed (like us?).

My current view is that you should be able to devise many good
schemes to suit particular circumstances, but I would be very
impressed by a truly general scheme. I would be at least equally
impressed by an Arrow-like result that says 'Any scheme will fail in
some circumstances'. There's a challenge!

Cheers.