Proposed MMP ballot initiative in Colorado

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at utu.fi
Tue Apr 21 05:36:35 PDT 1998

Not bad. The voters have some say over the party list so I think this is
better than the New Zealand system. I have a couple of questions:

>(7) Party seat allocation shall be determined by the largest remainder
>formula.

Why do you use the largest remainder method? It produces erratic results.
Why not use Sainte-Lague/Webster?
http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/appor.html

>(9) The slate ballots of each party list shall be credited to the first
>candidates on the list, just enough to each, to bring his or her total up
>to the party seat allocation threshold.

Candidates who poll at least the quota (=party seat allocation threshold)
are elected. The rest of the seats go to the the top names on the party
lists. Have I understood correctly?

I would let the personal ballots decide the order of election.

Olli Salmi