An election method to replace MMP

IH Farrow ifarrow at aip.com.au
Wed Apr 15 16:03:42 PDT 1998

Regarding the terminology, perhaps a better description of the system often (erroneously) described as Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) might be Mixed Member Combination (MMC - a term coined by two Australian psephologists).  The Japanese system has also been described as a Parallel System, since the proportional Party List ballot and the single member constituency ballots do not influence each other.  MMC is the more common practice internationally, in many European countries and delivers a semi-proportional result.  MMP as practised in Germany, Venezuela, Bolivia and New Zealand has the emphasis on the proportionality of the result determined by the Party List vote.

For the reasons I have already stated, I don't believe that these systems really 'get out of the woods' because of their lack of ordinal preferential choice for electors.

Regards

Ian Farrow
e-mail: 	ifarrow at aip.com.au