Truncated ballots

DEMOREP1 DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 6 21:50:35 PDT 1998

Regarding Mr. Eppley's posting of Mon, Apr 6, 1998 3:29 PM EDT---

I mention some more from the 1996-1997 discussion-

The range of approval on a choice is from plus 100 percent (total approval) to
minus 100 percent (total opposition).

Some voters (perhaps even a majority of the voters) just might think that
candidates such as Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, etc. are ABSOLUTELY unacceptable,
regardless of their relative evil.

Making relative votes ONLY (1, 2, etc.) for executive and judicial offices
also totally fails to reflect political realities.

Currently many such executive and judicial officers are nominated in
nonpartisan primaries or in partisan primaries with only D/R candidates such
that the winner(s) get a majority of the general election votes.

For legislative body elections, there are various proportional representation
methods to get minority representation such that YES/NO votes are not
appropriate.

Having "special alternatives" would be confusing to many voters in my humble
opinion.   There are very large numbers of voters who are functional
illiterates due to very defective public schools, bad parents, etc.