Arrow and Gibbard-Satterthwaite

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 18 06:29:29 PDT 1997

Dear Steve,

I said, that Arrow's theorem cannot be used in its original
version, because some of the election methods, which were
discussed in the election methods list, fail to meet Pareto.
In this e-mail, I will present two examples.

[By the way, I also mentioned, that Arrow supposed, that
the method is deterministic and regards only relative
preferences. (That means: They don't consider absolute
preferences or the strength of preferences.) Some of the
election methods, which were discussed in the election
methods list, also fail to meet these suppositions.]

Smith//Random fails to meet Pareto.

Example:

   40 voters vote ABCD.
   35 voters vote CDAB.