Condorcet "true preferences"

Hugh Tobin htobin at redstone.net
Tue May 6 20:01:48 PDT 1997

Saari at aol.com wrote:

> >The voters are not being "asked" to do anything -- in Condorcet they are
> >being allowed the right to vote all of their true preferences,
>
> Perhaps I am reading into things, but it appears that the writer is claiming
> that a Condorcet ballot (A > B > C) allows a given voter to express his/her
> "true" feelings.  [snip]

You are misreading.  When I use the term "preferences," that is what I
mean.
If you believe a single winner election should be based on the strength
of each voter's "feelings," rather than on crude rankings, then please
propose such a system, structured so that each voter would have the
incentive accurately to report the intensity of those "feelings", rather
than to exaggerate them so as to maximize the chances of his or her most
favored candidate.

-- Hugh Tobin