THE FAQ POLL IS NOW OPEN

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 7 13:54:08 PST 1997

Mike S wrote:
>Steve E wrote:
>>The 2:1 passing threshold coupled
>>with yes/no voting instead of preference voting will irrationally
>>privilege quite a few decisions which don't deserve being privileged
>>over competing alternatives.  I'm reluctant to participate in an
>>irrational process.
>
> The initial seed rules were created unilaterally, to be sure, but
> you have to start somewhere.

You don't have to start with a unilateral decision.  Why should a
dictatorially imposed set of rules prevail over a set of rules
preferred by a majority?  Why should a dictator have a 2:1 privilege?

> The initial FAQ is empty,

No, we have an official FAQ already, and Mike shouldn't be allowed to
dictatorially wave it away.

> meaning that all changes to the content are by group decision (with
> no person more privileged than anyone else).  This does mean that
> early decisions, once approved, carry some weight due to "history".
> This is not an unfair bias, however, as all members still have
> equal weight.

Sorry, that's bullshit.  What "history" does a draft document merit?

> You may choose to participate or not, although I think the process
> will work better the more knowledgable people participate.  If not,
> though, perhaps you'll enjoy watching to see how it turns out.

I won't participate using these irrational rules.  I'll work
privately with others to make a FAQ.

> BTW, the voting terms are ASSERT/OPPOSE, not "Yes/No".  I would
> appreciate your using these more accurate descriptors.

But they're not accurate, either.  Preferences are relative, not
absolute.  I'd appreciate your using the even more accurate terms
"more preferred" and "less preferred."