Support and opposition? (was Re: MOAV "criterion"?)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 5 19:54:19 PST 1997

Mike Saari wrote:
-snip-
> For that matter, I now prefer "Support" and "Oppose" over Yes/No.
> The word "No" is actually pretty ambiguous.  (Does "No" mean merely
> "No I do not support." or does it mean the stronger "No I am
> actively opposed."?  It's unclear which.)  "Oppose" is
> crystal-clear.
-snip-

It's certainly not crystal clear what "support" and "opposition"
mean.  They're really relative preferences, usually relative to the
"keep the status quo" choice, or possibly relative to a choice such
as "hold a new election" or "let some other entity decide".

If Mike really wants to avoid ambiguous and misleading terminology,
he should stop using "support" and "opposition", and instead refer to
the voter's relative preferences.