STV - Transferring of Votes

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Sun Jun 15 02:42:58 PDT 1997

Dear List members,

     I have a question.

     When using Preference Voting/STV and when votes are being transferred
from candidate B to candidate D and if candidate D receives more votes than
needed to reach quota: The question is which of the following two cases is
the correct policy:
        Case One: Reduce number of votes being transferred to meet quota.
        Case Two: Add transferred votes to votes of candidate D and then
reduce total of votes down to meet quota.

     Which of these two cases is the correct policy and why?

     I cannot think of any reason to support or oppose either case. I feel
like I am at a fork in the road and I do not know which way to proceed with
my text on how to work a STV election.

Don,

PS I recieved a letter from someone that said it was his understanding that
case two would be the policy, but I have not been able to contact him and
ask why because of "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
errors -----"

Donald Eric Davison of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald