Show Time for Gerrymandering

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Sun Jun 8 06:42:25 PDT 1997

Dear List members,

     I sat down and I tried to gerrymander some multi member districts. I
could not do it - my heart was not into doing it. If multi member districts
were going to be gerrymandered it would have to be done by someone else -
but who? Why - of course - Steve Withers is the one. Steve is the person
that will do it. He has been talking about that very thing.

     Enough talk Steve - it is now Show Time - show us Steve how multi
member districts can be gerrymandered.

     This is your assignment Steve - if you care to accept it:

Suppose there are twelve single member districts with a grand total of
120,000 voters. These voters are divided fifty-fifty between the Good Guys
and the Bad Guys. These twelve districts are combined to form the following
six cases. Your task is to gerrymander any or all of the cases to give the
Bad Guys an advantage in number of members elected.

    Case 1: One district with twelve members

    Case 2: Two districts with six members each

    Case 3: Three districts with four members each

    Case 4: Four districts with three members each

    Case 5: Five districts - two with three members - three with two members

    Case 6: Six districts with two members each

    Remember that Bad Guys like to have safe seats.

Anyone - please feel free to also work on these cases - I would like to see
more than one solution.

Regards,

Don

Donald Eric Davison of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald